Skip to main content

So I Actually Made a Decision for Once

If you know me even a little bit, you probably know how terrible I am at making decisions. Honestly, I'm truly terrible at it, so you can imagine how difficult it's been for me to work through a decision that's going to (minimally) impact the next 3-4 years of my life: where to go to grad school.

Now, part of the decision was made for me by admissions committees that decided to pass on my applications. A bit disappointing, of course, but at least this eliminated the choice of where I'd want to live. At the end of the entire process, I was left with offers from 2 universities, both in Montreal, Canada.

Both schools have pro's and con's (and yes, I made a list), but in the end I had to listen to:
  • what people said about the importance of the relationship with my future supervisor, 
  • some incredibly quotable advice happiness and life, 
  • and ultimately my gut.
All that being said, I'm happy to share that come September, I will be attending Concordia University as a PhD student in psychology! I'll be working within the Infant Research Laboratory on bilingual language acquisition (I could go on about the supervisor and the research and all that, but I'll spare you the probably-boring details).

I'm excited and terrified, and sure I'll learn a lot while I'm there. New country, new degree, new adventures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Croatia - A Month Later...

Moving back to the US has had its ups and downs, but if anything is certain when I'm back home is that I will be busy. Between unpacking, purging my room, family events, and preparing for the new job, I've been so preoccupied that I kept putting off this recap of my trip to Croatia. So on this rainy day, I'm just going to relive the 5 days of sunshine if you don't mind. As with any good trip, the story really starts with the trek to the airport. This time around it was at 4:45 in the morning. Luckily, the only thing that wasn't ideal was the timing, but at least Laura (this trip's travel buddy) was able to convince her dad to drive us to the airport before the sun was even up. We tried to catch up on our sleep on the plane, but there's only so much you can do when you're squeezed in like sardines. But the early flight meant we landed with nearly a full day ahead of us. After finding our AirBnB and a scarfing down a very Dutch lunch of cheese sandwich...

Bye Bye Barcelona

The time has come again for another travel chapter to close. After spending 10 weeks in Barcelona, I figured it was time for me to catch up on what exactly I've been doing here and what I think of the city. First of all, my time in Barcelona was to fulfill the internship component of my master's program. 10 weeks, full time linguistics fun. Contrary to what some of you may be thinking, my motivation to come here wasn't just to be in a different city, or to escape a bit of the Dutch winter; it was because I found a professor who was working on a project that was right in-line with my academic interests (all the other stuff was just a happy bonus!). The project I've been working on is investigating how babies are able to recognize different languages. We're talking like 4 month-olds here, and you'd think they wouldn't know too much, but babies are language machines . Even after just a couple months, babies can tell the difference between languages based on...